Click here to download Call to Artist handout (includes Checklist, Artist Info Sheet, Image Sheet, and Artist Agreement)
Click here to download Flyer
A Time for Heroes is a project designed to teach what a true hero is and to help identify Heroes in our midst through a variety of events. One aspect of this project is a visual art and writing competition called Heroes Among Us. Lesson plans will be distributed to teachers with in a 50-mile radius of Lincoln, NE to be used to help students in grades 6-12 think on this idea and then create their own works to honor these often unsung members of our communities. As part of the lesson plans, students will be exposed to a selection of art, both visual and written, by professional artists who have created works based on this theme of Heroes.
Hildegard will be partnering with various student focused organizations as well as the public, private, and home school associations to make Heroes Among Us a lasting and enriching experience.
Selected works from this Call to Artists will also be included in the 2012-2013 Arts Are Basic Programming.
As an Arts Are Basic focus work, each piece of art will have a curriculum created around it by a professional Teaching Artist from the
Lincoln Center Institute in New York. The art and curriculum will be presented at the 2012 Arts Are Basic summer workshop atDoaneCollege for a week of study by educators and artists prior to a yearlong tour of the state.
During this year-long tour, artists of the approximately 10 selected works may be asked to come and present their work and talk to studentsand/or educators about their process of creating. The artwork will be “on loan” for 18 months.
“THE CALL” CALENDAR:
- CALL TO ARTISTS INFORMATION AVAILABLE – January 2012
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 5 pm central time, MARCH 15, 2012
- WINNERS ANNOUNCED: by March 31, 2012
- RECEIPT of PHYSICAL WORK: May 31, 2012
- WORKS will begin their traveling exhibition on June 11, 2012 with a teacher workshop through Arts Are Basic.
- Open to artists 18 years or older.
- Original works of visual art only (photography, painting, ceramics, sculpture, mixed media, textile/fabrics, etc.)
- Enter up to four pieces of art (one image per piece)
- $25 submission fee for one to four pieces (check made payable to Hildegard Center for the Arts)
- Each image must be submitted in a PC compatible format and 8” x 10” at 300 dpi
- Three-dimensional art – may submit one extra image per piece for an alternate view
- A jury will review all submissions of work and make selections based onappropriateness to theme, technique, quality of images provided, educational merit, and technical excellence.
Note – This work will be transported to various sites over 18 months. Please make sure the size and weight of art is manageable.
- All selected works will become part of a traveling show and collection of images which will be used by Arts are Basic and Hildegard programs to inspire and instruct students and teachers on what is means to be a true hero.
- DIGITAL IMAGE REQUIREMENTS: All entered images are to be included on a CD labeled with your First and Last name, phone number, email address, and number of entries being submitted:
a. Image size requirements are: jpeg images (PC compatible) 8” x 10” at 300 dpi
b. Please label images as follows: last name_title (ex. Smith_Hero in Me)
- Any and all costs associated with delivery of entry and finished selected work is the responsibility of the artist.