Take the tour and acquaint yourself with the Spiritual Arts in Lincoln.
Click here to download Art Tour Postcard (PDF)
Click here to download Art Tour Flyer (PDF)
Click here to download Special Activities Flyer (PDF)
Click here to view a map of tour locations
Click here to view the Spiritual Art Tour Photo Gallery
Hildegard Center for the Arts teamed up with six churches, a synagogue and Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital to sponsor a Lincoln Spiritual Art Tour for the city of Lincoln, Sunday, August 28th from 1-4pm. The event worked like a “tour of homes”, designed to showcase some of Lincoln’s finest in sacred and spiritual art, architecture, history and tradition, including some of the city’s best kept secrets and hidden gems. Several locations treated the guests to festive ‘extras’, such as music, cultural foods, demonstrations, speakers and exhibits. The tour concluded with a lively reception at College View Seventh-day Adventist Church, where the photographers included in Hildegard’s newly published book “Seeking the Light” were on hand to sign books and formally meet the public as published artists. A large exhibit featuring the winning photos was also on display. Sites included on the tour were as follows:
- College View Seventh-day Adventist Church 4801 Prescott Ave.
- Congregation B’nai Jeshurun (The South Street Temple) 2061 South 20th Street
- First Christian Church 430 South 16th Street
- First Presbyterian Church 840 South 17th Street
- First United Methodist Church 2723 North 50th Street
- Friedens Evangelical Lutheran Church 540 D Street
- Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital 5401 South Street
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church 1420 K Street (Tour starts at 1:30)
Comments from the Tour:
- “I truly had a wonderful time and was proud to be a part of the special day. Everyone who visited was so interested, respectful, and engaged. I was moved by the genuine outpouring of interest in our Temple. Thank you for your leadership and vision. I hope that we will continue to partner in bringing together the faith communities of Lincoln in fellowship and understanding as we join in reaching the spiritual through artistic expression.” –Rabbi Craig Lewis, South Street Temple
- ” It was a wonderful afternoon! Everwhere I was – at First, Friedens, South Street and College View, I ran into people I love and people I enjoyed meeting who were having a great time. The event was a true gift in building the Spiritual Life of our city, by bringing us together in this wonderful interfaith experience. –Pastor Larry Moffet, First United Methodist Church
- “I felt the time frame for the reception and book signing worked beautifully. I liked the signing at the culmination of the site tour. Everyone at HCA was incredibly friendly and professional – truly rolling out the red carpet for the artists. The guests were plentiful and full of conversations and comments about our work. It was an unforgettable experience and I am forever grateful.” –Tracy Sykes Garrett, Artist
- “Congratulations Anne to you and your team! What a wonderful day and what a great way to bring the community together.” –Sue Carraher, Madonna Foundation.
- “All of us at First Christian had a blast! What a mountain top experience for everyone. Thanks for all you and your group did to make this a smashing success.” –Jim Blosser, First Christian Church
- “A special congratulations to you on the magnificent ‘Spiritual Art Tour’. One gets so caught up in their own church and doesn’t realize what else is out there, even in our own city. The churches were all beautiful tirbutes to Jesus and Our Father, and the tours were very informative.” –Kathy Kucera, Tour Guest, St. Peter’s Catholic Church
- “What is more wonderful about the tour is that it brought us all together to learn from and enjoy each other. We have so much more in common than we have different, we need to be reminded of that…to look for the good.” –Quote taken from a woman on the tour at South Street Temple
- “Thanks so much for including me in the beautiful book “Seeking the Light”. What a wonderful book. Yesterday’s experience was amazing for me. It has changed my ‘focus’ in photography forever and for the better. It was a pleasure to meet both of you and the other photographers. What a great event for a wonderful cause.” –Cindy Brown, Artist
Special Thanks to:
- Lincoln Spiritual Art Tour Committee: Chairperson Anne Woita and her committee Nicolette Bonnstetter, Kevin Clark, Kim Einspahr, Rabbi Ilan Emanuel, Therees Hibbard, Rita Kean, and Liz Shea-McCoy.
- The Nebraska Arts Council, the Nebraska Cultural Endowment, Jacob North Companies, Lincoln Internal Medicine Associates, and White Law Office, PC, LLO for their underwriting support.
- Kevin Clark of Clark Architectural Collaborative 3 for designing the tour map included in the tour booklet, and to Ed Zimmer, Jim McKee and Father Jamie Hottovy for providing insights and information regarding the sites on the tour.
- Andrew Willis of Cline Williams Wright Johnson and Oldfather, LLP for his wise counsel and advice pertaining to this project.
With the support of the Nebraska Arts Council and the Nebraska Cultural Endowment